Bladderwrack belongs to the Fucus Vesiculosus seaweed family, and is actually one of the most common types of seaweed found in the oceans. You can buy this seaweed in powder form or sun dried form on Amazon or Asian grocery stores.
SOME OF BLADDERWRACK SEAWEED’S HEALTH BENEFITS ARE:
- Treating thyroid disorders by stimulating the thyroid gland to increase hormonal output (fucus seaweed is a RICH source of IODINE)
- Having anti-cancer effects (fucus fucoidan extract inhibits estrogen receptor activation and induces cell death in female cancer cell lines such as breast cancer, ovarian cancer, and endometrial cancer; it also inhibits migration and invasion of human lung cancer cell; inhibits proliferation of melanoma cells and induce apoptosis by activation of caspase-3 in vitro)
- Reducing risks of strokes and heart attacks, lower blood pressure (this seaweed is known to have high levels of HDL or “good cholesterol”)
- Improving digestion by relieving constipation, besides alleviating flatulence, bloating, and cramping (fucus has alginic acid which forms gel in the high-acidic stomach and protect stomach mucosa).
- Aiding weight loss (because most seaweed are packed with fiber, you feel full faster; seaweeds such as fucus also promote metabolism).
- Improving vision (due to its high levels of beta-carotene acting as an antioxidant that neutralizes free radicals in the eyes)
- Eliminating age spots and wrinkles (because fucus has some of the most powerful organic chemicals that act as antioxidants to slow down the aging process, making the skin beautiful, reducing age spots and blemishes, and lessening the appearance of wrinkles).
- Reducing swelling, inflammation and pain, especially helpful if you suffer from gout, arthritis, hemorrhoids, or skin irritation.
If you are too busy to try to incorporate seaweed such as bladderwrack in your meals, go for powder form that is easy to mix in with smoothies and shakes, or daily, easy-to-take seaweed-based supplements.
If you choose to go the dietary supplement route, for the best results, look for products with a few different types of seaweed, such as this one: https://amzn.to/2G7czCQ or http://bit.ly/2I9eyZq.
Happy seaweed eating !