Fucoidan causes certain types of cancer cells to self-destruct without affecting the normal cells. It also strengthens the immune system, enhances anti-pathogenic responses and reduces allergic reactions. It has extensive health benefits on the body as an antioxidant, reduces blood lipids, acts as an antivirus, anti-inflammatory, anti-tumor, anti-coagulation agent, and also works on gastrointestinal protection.
Fucoidan has many uses to ensure we maintain a healthy body with strong immune systems, including but not limited to:
- Fucoidan is helpful for people suffering from osteoarthritis (pain or stiffness in hip, thumb joins and knee) and when the fucoidan extracts are consumed orally, osteoarthritis is significantly reduced.
- One of the techniques to treat “surgical adhesions” uses fucoidan and turns out to be effective. A surgical adhesion (tissues and organs sticking together) is a fibrotic reaction caused by inflammation.
- Fucoidan works effectively and improves liver functioning when toxins or pathogens enter the liver.
- Fucoidan compounds have a retarding effect against blood coagulation (blood changing to solid or semisolid state)
- Fucoidan provides neural-protection and is quite essential for the proper functioning of the brain.
- Based on a study conducted in 2008, fucoidan extracts have shown inhibitory effects on a few viruses especially against herpes simplex virus infection by causing hindrance to the growth of the specific virus.
FROM THE BOOK “ANTI-CANCER NUTRIENTS: FUCOIDAN & AHCC” BY OLIVIA GREEN